Our winery and tasting room is located at the Hampstead Mansion, listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Henry Rose House.
The house was built in 1838 by Henry Rose, who was of the family which originally settled on Rose Hill in Geneva, NY. The lumber was ‘laid down’ on the shores of Keuka Lake, at what is now Keuka Lake State Park. Although there were six fireplaces, the first record of stoves is in the late 1850′s with the purchase of a parlor stove. There is no indication of a bake oven in the kitchen fireplace, but a reflector oven with spit is presently stored in the attic.
The main part of the house is 30′ by 40′ and has two wings of 20′ by 28′ which overlap the main by eight feet. A 1,200 square foot porch is supported by 14 pillars. A 20′ by 28′ wood shed has a partially bricked floor.
Under the woodshed is a brick vaulted ceiling and a cistern with a capacity of 2,000 gallons. The cellar is under only the main part of the house.
This house audibly ‘works’ with changing weather conditions. The main structure is still plumb, square, and true, as indicated by the ease with which the pocket doors on the main floor between the parlors operate.
There are only four rooms and a hall on the main floor and two large and two small bedrooms on the second floor. There are two ‘eaves’ rooms over the kitchen, accessed by a separate stairway. The south or library wing also has its own stairway leading to a single room with shelves and hooks. The cellar also had two areas for food storage, which were also locked.